Don't get me wrong there are more concussions each year in Girls soccer than there is in Football, yes you heard me right! But the attitude is completely different, I was shocked with the "every shot is a kill shot" attitude in Football High. We as parents to girls do not teach that, I do teach give it as good as you get it! Play through the pain, NO, those injuries last a lifetime! You can ask her father, an ex wrestler, he learned values but did it cost him in the end YES! I never want my kids to learn succeeding is at the cost of causing harm to someone else. I wonder if the coaches ever think of the long term psychological harm the kids who take that kill shot go through the rest of their lives. Succeeding should be because you had better skills and knowledge of the game. Some of those children in the movie could not even sell that they what they were saying, one kid kept repeating he enjoyed it that is why he was playing after just being released from the hospital, it seemed rehearsed, as if it was vicarious, or what he was supposed to be doing. It seemed he was doing it for his parents, there was no excitement, no joy, he could only seem to tell us what he was supposed to be doing. That is the wrong reason to be playing the game, then it seems hostility is brought to the field.
But I don't have boys, so I don't have this gender role that I see parents trying to push their kids into; I am thankful for that. I am glad I can let my kids choose their sport, they can Row, play Soccer, and run Track and not worry about society weighing on me because my boys don't play football, or maybe my son is small, and the community feels pity because he isn't big enough to play football. Or worse yet maybe my son is the 270lb who takes that kill shot, that helmet to helmet hit that causes his opponent. Possibly a 16yr olds brain to hemorrhage causing him to die. Then out of guilt 2 years later my son commits suicide. Leaving us (his family) behind devastated.
The kids in the movie kept repeating we are only 17 once, we can worry about the pain later. They should be told and reminded, yes you are 17 once. You should be having fun not training 12 months out of the year. They should be concentrating on their education, their grades because that is their future. They are not being taught balance which is what life is about. School, study, sports, and fun. The last two are interchangeable!
| died 8/18/13 from broken neck |
Football game is interesting, but it cause many risks. When players get hurt, I think the most worried people are their parents. In order to keep players away from dangerous and keep their parents away from worry. The schools should offer some protected ways.
ReplyDeleteWhere are you getting the information that there are more concussions in girls' soccer than in football? I haven't heard that in the literature on high school sports.
ReplyDeletehere is one article I am looking for the other one, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2140075/
DeleteIn sports both sexes played in, high school girls had higher rates of concussion than boys.